Summer means road trips. And RV travel continues to gain popularity. According to a recent survey of RVshare renters, 68% of travelers said they are very likely to take a road trip this summer. The flexibility RVs provide, along with a one-of-a-kind vacation option is appealing to many.
With the rise of awareness around the RV industry comes a wave of younger generations that are interested in this form of travel. It’s being seen as a great option for families and friends, furry friends included. The high price of gas is a hindrance for some (with 58% of respondents saying they did factor gas prices into their plans), but overall RV travel continues to rise in popularity. Here are some trends we’re seeing based on surveys conducted by Phocusright and RVshare.
RVs Are Becoming Popular with Younger Demographics
RV rental interest stayed steady from 2020 to 2021, at 13% of travelers. However, RVs are gaining popularity among younger demographics with 25% of travelers aged 18-34 having taken an RV trip in the last 12 months, an increase of 7% YoY, and 47% eager to take an RV trip in the next 12 months.
Generational differences are evident towards RV travel, especially among older travelers 55+ who have never rented an RV before.
Convenience is Key
When it comes to RV travel, there is a big demand for making the process as seamless as possible. Travelers overall express a desire for convenience in pickup, delivery and set up. Half or more surveyed also want the convenience of an RV that is delivered and set up prior to their arrival.
Many owners on the RVshare platform offer delivery options, meaning they will deliver the RV straight to your home or destination. This is a great choice for those who are uncomfortable driving or towing a large vehicle, or who want to arrive in their own vehicle and have the RV already set up.
- Past RV experience is a positive when it comes to future intent. Those who have rented an RV in the last 12 months were most enthusiastic and 2/3 of those travelers expressed interest in taking another trip in the upcoming year. Once you let go of the uncertainty you have around RV travel and give it a try, you will be converted for life!
- RV trips usually involve a group of people traveling together. 25% were traveling with family, and 28% were traveling with friends. RVs are a great way for groups to get together, whether it’s a family reunion, getting the highschool friends together, or just spending time with extended family.
- Camping is a top activity with RV trips. Nearly 30% of RV travelers camped on their last trip. Parking at a campground still reigns supreme when it comes to RV destinations and rightfully so. Many campgrounds have luxurious amenities, tons of fun for families, and beautiful scenery all around.
- When it’s hot outside we all want to be near a body of water. A beach/ocean destination was part of the last RV trip for 24% of RV travelers while 16% went to a lake/river destination.
- You’re calling shotgun. For those planning on taking a trip, 53% plan on driving the RV, and 27% plan on having the RV delivered to their campground destination.
- Renters need a vacation. For those renters who are planning to travel this summer, 53% claim they need a vacation and are looking forward to relaxing, while 45% are excited to just get outside and explore what the great outdoors has to offer.
Click here to read the full report at RVshare.